Final Countdown


These last  few days in Australia have been jam-packed.
Finishing work. Eating enough vegemite on toast to last me two months.
Coffee dates and catch up dinners.  Packing. Well let’s be honest, staring at piles on my floor.
Laying rugged up in my bed enjoying my last sleeps in it.
Truthfully. I’m a tiny bit frightened. Haiti is in quite a state and it’s a long journey to get there. You’d think I wouldn’t get pre-travel jitters anymore. Once again, I leave the comforts that I am well aware of in Australia to experience the unknown. This will be an adventure.
Our first month will be spent in a house with over 80 people.
80. people. Eating rice. And beans. (which I actually secretly love) Talk about community.
I have done the final count on the dresses, a project pioneered by Kim of Petit Pas, one of my nearest friends and am proud to report 76 crafted with love pillow-case dresses. Actually I'm waiting on a handful more so I'll post when I get them allllllll.
My mum has been unbelievable and sewn 30 pairs of boys shorts. Her bible study crew have been praying for me and sent me a beautiful card with some cash for the trip.
My old boss gave a ton of toothbrushes and pillowcases. I have received encouraging notes from everywhere. My friend, Erin, who is in the middle of moving countries and running her business (check Reskewed) 
has committed time and effort in between everything. People I barely knew, and some I don’t know at all have contributed. My neighbour who works at a dentist gave a ton of brushes along with my friend Abby who gave children’s toothbrushes and paste from her generous bosses. Ally G put together hand made pencil cases, pens and exercise books.
 
Talk about community. Love in Action.
Here’s the heading the unknown all over again. I am excited to post photos and stories of my time which I am sure will be laced with beauty and hardship.
It’s not you, its my Australia. But as always. I’ll be back.

Comments

  1. you got 76 dresses!! awesome. my goal was 50, so thats incredible. make sure you take some pictures!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts